Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Blog 18: Creativity

Sometimes I think that my creativity has been all used up; especially when I want to do something 'artsy' and nothing comes to mind. There was once a time where I could write whenever I sat down to or draw whenever I was told; now it takes a lot of thinking beforehand and then some more time to prepare an actual piece of work. I don't understand the random blocks that artists have- doesn't it just slow things down for them? Maybe that's why its so hard to make a living as an artist; despite the fall of art in the economy. I'd like to go back to the time where my imagination ran its course with little to no obstacles. I dislike that now it takes more effort to plan a piece than to actually create it; sometimes I don't even care to continue and it's trashed. No matter if it was good or not. This year alone I've drawn only 2 pictures when I would do that in a week or a few days. Its almost sad to me that the reality of growing up is coming into play; a time where your creativity and imagination are in use for ways to get your kids to eat their vegetables or something fun to do with your spouse; maybe something to preoccupy yourself with while at work. I never thought that I would reach a point where the thought process becomes harder than the actual creation; where my mind would dry up and all I could write about was issues in society and topics I pretend to enjoy for the sake of being cynical. Its almost tiresome to keep up the work...but I love to write. I could write about garbage and still enjoy myself...its just the lengthy planning that gets to me. I've always needed an inspiration but those used to come so easy; now I have to really sit there and think about something that's influential. Like today, I'm keeping myself occupied with writing by free writing and watching the snow fall; somehow it works. Maybe because its taking my mind off of creating words sot hat they just flow from my thoughts onto the keys. I realized that if I think too hard about something, it ends up being something I really can't stand once I read it again. Anne Rice had a wonderful quote about not knowing everything you write; that it wasn't possible. I agree that the best way to write is to just write and even if it doesn't make sense when later reading it; it made sense when writing it. To me, that's all that really counts. I know most authors write to give others pleasure, not necessarily themselves but I like to think that writing doesn't always have to be for someone else. Where else does a writer get pleasure from if they can't enjoy their own work? Other's works? That's just starting all over again...Could it be stress that stops me from my ability to create a work on the spot? In psychology we're discussing how stress has both physical and mental effects on a person and I learned that tension is a reaction of stress; like pressing your tongue to the roof of your mouth. I never noticed how I did that before today but relaxing does seem to help the flow of everything; words and body. I'll take care not too get too stressed out; maybe that will help more than I think.

2 comments:

  1. Ack that is not cool! Artists block is very annoying and troublesome to get over. I like how many of us were thinking of the snow and kind of blogged about it though XD ha ha ha. It does really help just to let the words flow out of your thought and not even care if they make sense or not...seems to do the trick a lot...you have been under quite a lot of stress this semester and last as well...we need to just have a night for pure fun!!! That would be great and relieve some stress hopefully. I hope it works out better soon amiga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds wonderful to me although I do have drill this weekend. Maybe next weekend? Just let me know when you're free and we can get a group of friends together maybe; sound good?

    ReplyDelete